Located at 601 Dr. MLK Jr. Blvd., Newark Makerhoods will launch a Center for Entrepreneurship in the historic Krueger-Scott Mansion by transforming it into a co-working space and event venue. Construction of a new mixed-use development on the grounds where once the stables and gardens existed will include:
- 66-unit, mixed-use development with 25% affordable housing
- 10, 650 square foot makershops
- Newark Food Factory, a shared-use commercial kitchen and 4,000 square foot greenhouse
- Courtyard that connects all the buildings and above ground covered parking garage
The project is planned to be complete in 2020.
Newark Makerhoods will focus on two industry clusters: food and fashion.
- 8 Food & Beverage Makers (e.g. baked goods, caterers, condiments, soups, etc.)
- 8 Fashion Makers (e.g. apparel, footwear, handbag, hats, jewelry, beauty, and other accessories)
- 2 Neighborhood Services Makers (e.g. laundry service, shipping & printing services, coffee shop, etc.)
Number and makeup of Makers is subject to change.